Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Cedarburg Plein Air 2017

Cedarburg Birches 14x14"  
By The Light We Have To Work 12x12" 



The Lions Den 16x16" 


It's been a busy couple of months. The Milwaukee Museum Mile plein air festival was my first plein air event of the year. I stayed in Shorewood, and rode my bike to paint in Downtown Milwaukee every day that I was there. I was honored with a first place award for my quickpaint submission, which was painted on Prospect Street.

I dropped off my painting submissions for the show, which was held at the Museum of Wisconsin Art, and drove straight to Ohio, to teach a workshop. I had 7 great student's in the workshop. We covered a lot of ground in our 3 days together. The main idea of the workshop was controlling our tonal values to create a feeling of light. I think that the students did a great job with these concepts. The weather was not cooperative with us, but we were flexible, and ended up painting indoors for two of the three days. 

Then, I headed to Cedarburg to paint in their Plein Air Festival. This is a great event, with over 160 painters in town, creating work on location. I look forward to going to Cedarburg every year because it's a chance to catch up with friends and talk painting. I stayed with Matt Holt for a couple of nights, and we painted at some great locations including the Lions Den Gorge natural area. Matt and I both received an honorable mention award for our submissions and I also received an artist's choice award. It was a successful event for everyone involved, and I'm looking forward to next year.

After Cedarburg, I taught a drawing and painting workshop to students age 11 - 14 through the Reedsburg Recreation Department. When I teach to teens, I demo as quickly as possible, and then get out of the way, because they have so much motivation and they can produce work very quickly. I enjoy seeing their results and their fresh paintings inspire me.

Up next is a plein air painting event at the Painted Forest in Valton, WI. The event is put on by the Kohler Arts Center, and I will be hosting the event and handing out supplies for this free painting event. Please plan to join us on July 9 in Valton.

Thank you for the interest in my work, I have a few recent paintings at the bottom of this email. If you have any questions, or are interested in any of the work, please let me know.


2 comments:

Laurie Mueller said...

Wonderful to see your beautiful work, Kyle! And lucky students- I won't forget our workshop-"Plane in the Air Society". Come back to Ohio!

Kyle Martin said...

Hi Laurie,
Great to hear from you! And we will paint some Planes in the Air again soon :) You made that workshop so much fun.
Thanks,
Kyle