Monday, March 9, 2020

New Paintings

Valentines Day Still Life Boquet 24 x 20" oil on panel. $850

 Corbin took a polaroid picture of her Valentines Day flowers, and when I saw the photo, I knew that I had to paint the bouquet. I juxtaposed some floral drapery behind the flowers, which play off the bouquet and add rhythm by repeating the shapes. I also added some bananas and peaches to the setup, which are a look back to my goin' bananas still life paintings from 2013. This piece has presence on the wall and is full of fun pattern and color. 
February Twilight 6 x 8" oil on panel. $85
I am often driving home from painting during twilight, and have made it a point to paint the after sunset effect more often this year. The colors in twilight are similar to those in a sunset, with the beautiful yellows, oranges and reds in the sky, but it is much easier to paint because the sun is already gone for the day.




Independence Tractor 14 x 18" pastel on colourfix. 14 x 18" $450
A neighbor of mine parked this striking red tractor near the road on Independence day. It was a beautiful day, the sun was shining, the sky was blue, and the flag was up. The red tractor stood out even more than it normally would, because of the contrasting deep green shadows on the trees directly behind it. I made a small oil painting of the tractor that day, and used it as a reference, along with a photograph, to create this pastel painting in the comfort of my studio.


Tractor After the Blizzard 12 x 16" oil on panel. $375 
I painted this tractor the morning after the biggest blizzard that we got this year. I love the mornings after the snow. On this day, the storm had passed, and the morning light cast long blue and violet shadows from the tractor. I used a broken color technique, similar to that of the Impressionists, to capture the winter light and atmosphere.

6th Street, Baraboo 11 x 14" oil on panel. $350 
This was painted on the week after the Fall Art Tour last year, when the colors were at their peak. Baraboo is full of colorful trees in late October, and this afternoon was one of the nicest days of the Fall. The wind came a few days later, and blew most of the leaves off of the trees.



Ableman Road Farm - Golden Hour 6 x 8" oil on panel. $85
A barn, barn, silo, and quonset shed are bathed in the late evening, golden light. This was painted in early February, when the days are short, and the sun sets early.


Grote Hill Road in Winter 6 x 8" oil on panel. $85
This is a favorite place to pull over and paint, and I return a few times each year to capture this farm and the bluffs behind it. on this afternoon, there was a wonderful quality of light falling onto the snow. I mixed and painted all of the different colors that I perceived quickly with strokes of thick paint.



Mountain Road Cows #1. 6x8" oil on panel. $85
This was a great day of painting out on Mountain Road. The cows posed for me, and did not move much. They looked like trophies overlooking the vista.

Early July Bales 12x16" oil on panel. $375
I noticed this field of haybales one evening, and quickly set up to paint. The golden hour light was very intense, and very beautiful on that day, the field, bales, and trees were transformed by the summer intensity.

No comments: