Tuesday, December 7, 2010

October Field

Here is something I worked on over the weekend. My reference was a (subjectively) not so good plein air piece painted in October. I thought there was something working with the composition and with the afternoon color (well, trust me this pic is BAD!).
Working from reference material is very new to me and I'm very pleased to have something to lead me with color choices. It's so helpful to have the colors layed down so that you have some idea of what is going on. Another challenge is brushwork, but it alsways seems good to stick to the big masses and break it down from there. When I was going crazy with the impastos, for instance last autumn, it was much more difficult to work in this way.
Photobucket
20"x24" (better color photo coming soon)

3 comments:

Chris Gillis said...

Kyle - came back to this in the morning and just love the composition and light in this one. I think you did a great job transferring the study (although I would like to se the study as well). This is such a great painting!

David Westerfield said...

This is a good one! Love the abstract quality of the tree. Post more please.

Laurie said...

Kyle, is this painting available to purchase?